Flat Bush

(09) 274 8279 20 Flat Bush Rd Otara, Auckland

Welcome to Room 2!

Week Three Highlights

Pink Shirt Day and Ms Russell's Birthday

Maison Turns 6 !

Garden To Table session

Maritime Museum visit at school

Week Two Highlights

This week we had two amazing trips. On Wednesday we went to three different playgrounds, Cooper Park, Otamariki Park and Allenby Park. 

Then we came back to school and played Hunger Ball!

On Thursday, We travelled to the Temple to Learn about the 3G, 4G programme. 

Both trips were so much fun. 

A massive thank you to all our parent helpers for their support.

Stars of the Week;

Week One Highlights 

Welcome back to school everyone! It was so nice seeing everyone again. We had another fun filled week in Room Two with a focus on ANZAC Day and Mother's Day this week. 

I hope that all our Mums had a restful Mother's Day on Sunday and enjoyed the cards and gifts that we made. 

Stars of the Week;

Welcome back everyone, I hope that you had a great holiday. This Term we are lucky to have a Student Teacher, Ms Kalila helping us out in Room 2.

This is the online page for Room 2 at FBS. On this page, we will keep parents and caregivers updated with the current learning that we are doing in class and also share the progress that we are making as learners. I hope that you enjoy reading about our adventures!

Ms Russell

Have a safe and happy Holiday everyone and I look forward to seeing you all in Term 2 :)

Week Eleven

A short week, but a good one. This week we welcomed four new students to the Room 2 family- Ezekiel P, Brooklyn, David and Elizabeth. I hope that you all have a great time in Room 2.

Lots of Easter activities in class this week too.

We had an epic Easter Egg hunt, thanks to Mrs Boyd for organizing our treats!

This week we finished our self-portraits to display in class. Hopefully next term all our whanau will be able to come and see them!

We also showed our appreciation to Miss Bree and our other teacher Aides by thanking them for their hard work this term

Week Ten

Another Awesome week in Room Two with the highlights being Junk Play day and Have a Go Day!

Letter of the Week

Handwriting Formation

Poem of the Week

Words of the Week

Home Work Book Unit

e

Twig, open hungry mouth

What can I see?

He, me, we

Unit 7- Groovy games

Week Nine

q

Hungry open mouth, short stick up, long stick down, flick

Quick, quick, quick

I, am, here, look

Unit 6-Below the waves

Week Nine Highlights-

Choosing our Duffy Books to take home

Learning to write our High Frequency words

Learning about Sea Creatures

Kakahu Feathers-

Cricket Skills with Coach Brodie-

Players of the Day-

Stars of the Week-

Week Eight 

Week Eight Highlights-

It was great to see so many learners back at school this week. Here are some of the highlights of the week.

Stars of the Week!

Castle Play-

Art Day-

Building and Construction Day-

Learning about our house groups-

Kowhai 

Rata

Kauri

Rimu

Making our own Kakahu using Pacific Patterns and coloured paper to represent our house groups.

Letter of the Week

Handwriting Formation

Poem of the Week

Words of the Week

Home Work Book Unit

g

Hungry open mouth, short stick up, possums tail

My grandma says

Is, am, here, look, I

Unit 5- Big and beautiful

Week Seven Highlights-

Thank you to the University of Auckland for our new water bottles, they will really help us to stay hydrated during the hot days. 

Self portraits for our portfolios

Water play on Friday.

Cricket with Coach Nick. 

Congratulations to the two players of the day!

Name writing competition- Congratulations to these learners who can write their names all by themselves!

Stars of the Week

Letter of the Week

Handwriting Formation

Poem of the Week

Words of the Week

Home Work Book Unit

d

Hungry open mouth, tall stick up, casey crawls down

I did, I did, I did

Is, am, here, look, I

Unit 4- Dinosaurs

Please go to the Distance Learning page for more home learning this week 

Distance Learning for those isolating in Week 6-

Room 2 Homework

Term One

Week - Six

Letter of the Week

Handwriting Formation

Poem of the Week

Words of the Week

Home Work Book Unit

d

I did, I did, I did

Is, am, here, look, I

Unit 4- Dinosaurs

Reading- listen to this story and practice your 1-1 pointing with the words.

What was your favorite animal?

Who got up first?

Why did the pig get up at the end?

What do you think the farmer gave the pig to eat?

What special treat could your family make for your breakfast that would make you get out of bed fast?

Name writing- Keep practicing writing your name, remember to put all of the letters on the line correctly and only use capital letters at the start of your first and last names

Counting- Have a look in your kitchen cupboards and count how many of these you can find;

-Dinner plates

-Small plates

-Bowls

-Mugs

-Forks

-spoons

-bread and butter knives

Which one do you have the most of? Which one do you have the least of? 

Home Learning Week 5-

This is the first and hopefully the last week of home learning this year. Unfortunately there are a lot of learners and teachers who are sick, isolating or looking after sick family members at the moment. We hope that they are all feeling better soon and will keep them in our thoughts and prayers. Each day I will put a few activities on this page for those who are able to work from home. However, please remember to only do what you can, when you can and if you can. I would love to see photos of your work at home, please email me at bernadiner@flatbush.school.nz

Room 2 Homework

Term One

Week - Five

Letter of the Week

Handwriting Formation

Poem of the Week

Words of the Week

Home Work Book Unit

a

Hungry open mouth, short stick up, Casey the caterpillar crawls down

an apple a day

look, at, the

Unit 3-Cuddly Creatures

Friday extra activities- Listen to this story and answer the questions below:

Questions-

What colour balloon did Nick have?

Who popped their balloon first?

What do you think happened to Mum's leg?

If you got a balloon, what colour would you choose?

Name writing- practice writing your first and last names. We will have a test when Ms Russell is back at school. If you can write your first and last names with no mistakes, 3 times, then you can choose a prize!

Colour of the day- Brown. Find as many things as you can in your house that have the colour Brown  on them. Take a photo or draw a picture of your favorite Brown  item. Ask an adult to send the photo to Ms Russell if they can.

Thursday extra activities-

Colour of the Day- Find as many Green things as you can in your house. Draw a picture of your favorite green item.

Te reo- Listen to the Poppet Stars song that we have been learning in class. Can you sing it with your family?

Counting- do a tour of your house and count how many of each of these items you have in your house:

Beds-

Shoes-

Toothbrushes-

Teddy Bears-

Which one did you have the most of? Which one did you have the least of?

Reading- Listen to this story about Greedy Cat and answer the questions below (you don't need to write the answers, just talk to a family member about them).

Where did Greedy Cat sit when he was hungry?

What is the little girls name?

What did Katie give Greedy Cat to eat?

Where do you think Greedy Cat was taking the sausages to?

What do you think Mum and Katie will have for dinner now that the sausages are gone?

Wednesday extra activities-Zoom zoom zoom! Come to our zoom meeting at 1pm today to catch up with Ms Russell and your classmates. Check emails for the invite, I'm looking forward to seeing all your lovely faces!

Colour of the Day- Find as many Yellow things as you can in your house. Draw a picture of your favorite Yellow item.

Shape of the day- rectangle. How many rectangless can you find in your house? How many sides does a rectangle have? How many corners can you see on a rectangle? Make a picture of a house using only rectangles.

Alphabet practice- Listen to our phonics song and sing along with your family

Tuesday extra activities- Listen to the Casey the Caterpillar story from the link below. This is the story that we use in team Kakano to help with letter formation each week.

Casey the Caterpillar

Alphabet practice - Look at the alphabet card and practice your letters and their sounds with an adult, just like we do in class every day.

Alphabet Card

Colour of the Day- Find as many blue things as you can in your house. Draw a picture of your favorite blue item.

Shape of the day- square. How many squares can you find in your house? How many sides does a square have? How many corners can you see on a square?

Read the Poem of the Week with an adult;

Monday extra activities-

Practice writing your name, can you write your first and last names three times without looking at your nametag?

Counting, count the following items and write them down on a piece of paper-

How many people are in your house right now?

How many doors are there in your house?

How many Windows are in your house?

How many chairs can you find in your house?

Letter of the week- practice writing 'a' and capital 'A'. Can you find anything in your house that starts with an 'a'? Ask Mum or Dad to write down the names of all your family members. Then get a pencil and circle all the letter 'a's that you can see. How many people had an 'a' in their name? Does anyone in your family start with a capital 'A'?

Colour of the day- Red. Find as many things as you can in your house that have the colour red on them. Take a photo or draw a picture of your favorite red item. Ask an adult to send the photo to Ms Russell if they can.

Shape of the day- circle. How many circles can you find in your house? Find a cup or a jar and trace around it to make a circle. Turn your circle into a smiley face and share it with your family.

Week 4 Home Learning Ideas-

This week we have a few learners at home waiting for test results or isolating because a family member has tested positive for Covid 19. We hope that you are all better soon and will be thinking of you while you are at home. Here are a few things you can do while you are at home

* Practice writing your name, first and last names

* Learn how to tie shoe laces 

* Practice writing the letter of the week- O and the words of the week- here, is, a

* Do a unit out of the Homework Book, if you have your book bag with you

* Practice counting things around the house- pegs, cutlery etc

* Do a search of your house and look for things that start with the letter of the week- O 

Week Four Notices-

This week we will be starting our PMP programme in the hall. Please make sure that your child is able to take off and put on their shoes by themselves for PMP.

Room 2 Homework

Term One

Week - Four

Letter of the Week

Handwriting Formation

Poem of the Week

Words of the Week

Home Work Book Unit

o

Hungry open mouth, closed

Oh, Oh, Oh

here, is a

Unit 2-At the beach

Week Four Highlights-

Dinosaurs invading our mat!

Volcanoes erupting in the sandpit

Displaying our "I am" stories from week 3

Writing about our favorite toys

Reading with 1-1 pointing

Making magic potions outside

Letter of the Week activities

Week Three Notices-

This week we will be starting our Reading Programme. Look out for a homework Book Bag that will be coming home with your child soon. Special thanks to the BOT for again providing free stationery to all learners at FBS.

Room 2 Homework

Term One

Week - Three

Letter of the Week

Handwriting Formation

Poem of the Week

Words of the Week

Home Work Book Unit

c

Hungry open mouth

Cats can climb

I, am

Unit 1-Fabulous food

We had another amazing week in Room Two. Here are some of the fantastic learning we have been doing!

Superstars of Week Three!

Who is the Teacher in Room 2? 

G'day everyone, my name is Bernadine (Bernie) Russell and I am your teacher in Room 2 this year. I am a proud Australian, with Australian and South African heritage. I was born and raised in the small costal city of Burnie, Tasmania and moved to New Zealand in 2001. I have lived and worked in Otara for more than 20 years and am proud to be part of our FBS community. 

I have taught senior, middle and Junior students in my time at FBS and also taken time out to improve my own qualifications and have four children over the years. My passions include Art, Science and Horticulture. I also enjoy baking, travelling and spending time with my family. I am looking forward to getting to know our Room Two learners and their families better this year and sharing the progress of your children with you all. 

Who are the learners in Room 2? 

Room 2 currently consists of 16 year 1 learners. We work together in a play based learning environment where we are encouraged to show respect and kindness. We try hard to complete all of our tasks and we celebrate our own and other's achievements.

Weeks One and Two, Term One, 2022.

We began the year with a small number of learners which quickly increased to 16 students as we gained some new friends from Room 23. 

Everyone was so excited to be back at school or starting their journey at FBS. We have been making friends, getting to know the other members of Team Kakano and exploring our new classroom. Here are some of the highlights of our first two weeks in Room 2.

Indoor Learning

Outdoor Learning

Icey Poles from our BOT

Learning to write our names

Friday Water Play

Stars of the Week!

Congratulations to these learners who have already filled up their sticker charts and chosen a prize from the prize box.