Flat Bush

(09) 274 8279 20 Flat Bush Rd Otara, Auckland

Reading Recovery with Mrs Togiatu

Distance Learning 2021

Thank you Alisi for your lovely piece of writing today. Your reading was a pleasure to listen to! Keep up the wonderful work at home :)

Mrs Togiatu

--------------------------------------------------

Excellent effort Alisi

---------------------------------------------

Check out our Fantastic work written by our wonderful writers, Cleo and Lazarus!

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 

Malo e Lelei! 

This week, I have been very impressed with Lazarus' attitude towards Reading and Writing. He comes to Reading Recovery ready and willing to learn. He brings positive energy and great humour every day!

S H O U T    O U T    T O . . .

LAZARUS

Keep up the great work!

Mrs Togiatu

selat@flatbush.school.nz

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 

2nd September 2020

Welcome back to School, Fabulous Children!

We are back again after the second lockdown and we are continuing to work harder at Reading Recovery. Here are some of the stories we have written and pictures of us working with magnetic letters.

What a lovely way to start the week! Well done and keep working hard!

Mrs Togiatu

selat@flatbush.school.nz

11th August 2020

This week has been SUPERB as I have met a few parents to share some of the successes your children have made in Reading Recovery. Thank you for taking the time to come to see me and to discuss what we can do together to support your child.

Proudly sharing with you our work!

Please do not hesitate to reach out if you have any questions in regards to your child's learning.

Kind regards,

Mrs Togiatu

selat@flatbush.school.nz

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 

29th June 2020

Kia Orana Family and Students,

Just wanted to share some of our student's favourite work this week. 

MUST DO's

• Do practice reading your book with an adult at home, every day
  • Do bring your book bag to school every day
  • Do practice writing every day
  • Do have lots of FUN reading

Until next time...

Mrs Togiatu

selat@flatbush.school.nz

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

15th June 2020

Hello Family and Students!

I have some AWESOME stories by our Reading Recovery students this week. Stories may be short but there is a lot of effort involved before and during writing.

You will notice that students constantly practise forming letters or writing a word correctly. The goal is to do this quickly and correctly.

1
Isobel - I am learning to write the letters correctly

1
CIeo - I am learning to write 'like' quickly and correctly

Lazarus - I am learning to write the letters 'u' and 'd' correctlySaofa'i - I am learning to write 'I' (with a tall stick) and 'went' quickly and correctlyTevita - I am learning to write 'for' quickly and correctly

Helping your child to do this at home 10-15 minutes, every day will help them achieve this and to give them the confidence to do it independently. 

Student's work will be posted up here so checking to see what they choose to share with everyone!

Mrs Togiatu

selat@flatbush.school.nz

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 

24th May 2020

Talofa lava tamaiti ma aiga!

Happy Samoan language week, everyone! Hope you had a restful weekend and are now ready for the new week ahead.

Below is a link to some Samoan books for your reading pleasure. Some of these books are familiar to your children and I hope you enjoy them together as a family!

Samoan books

Fa'afetai lava ma ia manuia le vaiaso fou,

Mrs Togiatu

selat@flatbush.school.nz

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

6th May 2020

Kia Ora Koutou Katoa!

I have a link below that I think will be useful for your child/ren at home. It is another fun way to read with them during the day or right before bedtime.

Your child/ren may be familiar with some of these books as they are the ones we have at school.

Ready to Read books

Nga mihi,

Mrs Togiatu

selat@flatbush.school.nz

4th May 2020

Kia Orana family and friends!

I thought I would share something special that happened in my family because I think a lot of families are experiencing the same thing in their own bubbles.

In my bubble, we celebrated 4 birthdays during lockdown! My nephew turned 16 on the 18th of April, my husband and another nephew celebrated their birthdays on the 21st of April and Toryn (R17) turned 10 on the 25th of April (ANZAC day)!

Mrs Togiatu's handprintsBefore the lockdown, we celebrated birthdays at fun parks and ate out. But this year we didn't do any of that. Instead, we played card games, played tiggy outside and cooked simple meals for dinner. 

We chose an activity from our School website, to do together as a family. We had to come up Toryn's Grandpawith 5 things we loved about Toryn and then we presented it to her after dinner. 

Toryn felt special and enjoyed listening to everyone saying nice and positive things about her. 

Toryn's sister, Skythan

Toryn's brother, Maxel

Toryn's sister, Mykah

Toryn's nanaHow about you? 

Did you celebrate your birthday or anyone else's birthday in your bubble? If so, what did you and your family do? 

I would  to hear about your

experiences.

Arohanui,

Mrs Togiatu

selat@flatbush.school.nz

29th April 2020

Malo e lelei!

What a lovely day it is today! I hope you are enjoying the sunshine and spending some time outside, soaking in some vitamin D.

I have a new story for you today! It was a gift from a lovely teacher when I had my first child - she is now 16 years old. It's now one of Maxel and Toryn's favourite bedtime stories. 

Enjoy!

23rd April 2020

Kumusta and happy days to All!

I trust that you are staying positive and finding ways to keep busy during the lockdown. You must be missing your friends from school and extended family. But it won't be long until we can hug and play with them like we used to. 

So in the meantime, read along or listen to the story I have here for you.

Enjoy!

Mrs Togiatu

selat@flatbush.school.nz

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  

21st April 2020

Bula vinaka and greetings to you all,

Well, it has been a fabulous week so far because I got to talk to you all over the phone! It's a different way of communicating with you but I am enjoying every moment of it so far and I hope you are too! 

Thank you to your wonderful family for giving me the opportunity to talk with you today.

I am so pleased to know that you are finding the time to read a story to a family member and independently. You guys rock!

Remember to send me pictures of you reading independently or reading to a family member and I'll post them up on here (with your parents'/whanau permission).

Have a listen to this story if you haven't already. 

Willbee the Bumblebee

Mrs Togiatu

selat@flatbush.school.nz

18th April 2020

This is a message to my Reading Recovery students:

Hello, my super readers!

I hope you and those in your bubble are well. There's nothing more important than keeping yourselves safe and happy! 

I'm sure you have been a fantastic helper at home like you are at school!

I want to let you know that I will be making contact with you this coming week to see how you are doing and of course to listen to some of the neat things that you've been up to at home. 

I hope you like the books you received from school, and are sharing it with the people in your bubble. They're the books we enjoyed reading together during our learning at school. 

miss seeing you and listening to you read to me every day and I can't wait to continue to do this when things go back to 'normal'. Take care and I look forward to catching up with you this week.

Mrs Togiatu

selat@flatbush.school.nz

6th April 2020

Kia Ora!

Reading Recovery will continue to be another support programme here at Flat Bush School, specifically for 6 year-olds. Reading Recovery is an effective early literacy intervention designed to support students who may find reading challenging. It provides one to one daily teaching for 30 minutes. 

We are fortunate to have five students on the Reading Recovery programme at a time. So if your child has been selected to be on this programme, it is most important for them to attend school every day to take advantage of this great opportunity.

It is equally important that your child reads the books that are sent home every night to an adult or an older sibling. Please help your child to remember to bring their book bag to school every day.

What Reading may look like at home...

1. Listen to your child read. Just tell them the word if they don't know it.

2. Ask questions about the story. For example,

- Describe your favourite/least favourite character of the story and why?

- Tell me your favourite/least favourite part of the story?

- Can you tell me what happened at the beginning/middle/end of the story?

- Tell me if there was a problem in the story and how was the problem fixed?

OR

- Why couldn't the problem be fixed?

3. Help your child put their story together (the story is in the envelope). Mix it all up. Now allow your child to independently put their story together correctly, but faster. Help them if they need it  

MAKE   READING   AT   HOME   SUPER   FUN!

Thank you to parents/whanau for making the time to come to school to discuss the programme more in-depth. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any more questions about the programme. Take care and I look forward to hearing from you.

Mrs Togiatu

selat@flatbush.school.nz

LINKS TO CHECK OUT - I will add more links as we go

Heihei - audio for 5-6 year old children